- Writing and communication skills honed during nearly forty years law practice specializing in complex civil litigation involving diverse subject matters in a variety of milieus
- Litigation of complex disputes in business, healthcare liability, real estate, eminent domain, construction, personal injury, employment discrimination, and constitutional violations
- Elected and served as a Member of the Texas House of Representatives for District 97
- Organized and supervised volume litigation section at major Fort Worth law firm, including mentoring and training younger lawyers in the power of words
- Extensive writing and public speaking experience both inside and outside the legal profession
- Personal Injury Trial Law -- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Civil Trial Advocate -- National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Professional Writers' Alliance
- International Travel Writers and Photographers Alliance
A Few Honors:
- Elected Texas State Representative – District 97
- December 18, 2007 – January 12, 2009
- Land & Resource Management Committee
- Pensions & Investments Committee
- Martindale-Hubbell - “AV” Preeminent Rating
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Who’s Who in American Law
- National Registry of Who’s Who
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- President - Fort Worth Chapter – 2002
- National Board of Directors - 2003
- Fort Worth Magazine – Top Attorneys – Multiple Years
- Texas Monthly – Super Lawyers – Multiple years
- Juris Doctor - Texas Tech University School of Law – 1979
- Bureau of National Affairs, U.S. Law Week award for scholastic achievement
- Bachelor of Arts – Government – University of Texas at Austin – 1975
- Married, two adult sons, two grandchildren (so far)
- Rehabilitating distressed real properties
- Live Theater
- Hiking, Qi Gong, Yoga
- Board of Directors - Amphibian Stage Productions
Selected Legal Publications & Presentations:
- "Deposition Tips for the Testifying Treater or Yes, They Can Make You Testify (Now, let's make it as painless as possible)" - Tarrant County Physician, January, 1988.
- "Direct Examination of Witnesses" seminar presentation & paper - Trial Advocacy in Texas May, 1990.
- "Loss of a Chance" Tarrant County Civil Trial Lawyers seminar & paper, April, 1991.
- "Some Thoughts About Opening Statements" Texas Association of Defense Counsel - Young Lawyers Seminar, presentation & paper, December, 1991.
- "Open Letter to Members of the Tarrant County Medical Society" - Tarrant County Physician - June, 1992.
- "Emerging Theories of Liability in Professional Malpractice Cases" - Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, presentation, September, 1992.
- "Climbing the HMO Bad Faith Tree" - Texas Bad Faith Bulletin - October, 1992.
- "Random Thoughts on Trial Preparation and Voir Dire" - Texas Association of Defense Counsel - Young Lawyers Seminar, presentation & paper, December, 1992.
- "When the Bell Tolls for the Whole World: The Expanding Jungle of Psychiatric Health Care Liability" Texas Health Law Reporter - July, 1993.
- Faculty Member - Texas Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy - Fort Worth, Texas, February, 1994.
- "Opening Statements" & "Direct Examination of Witnesses" papers & seminar presentation - Trial Advocacy in Texas - NBI, Inc., October, 1995.
- Direct Examination of Defendant's Neurologist - "Masters of Trial" program - American Board of Trial Advocates, Dallas, Texas, October, 1996.
- “Taking & Defending Effective Depositions in Texas” – Lohrman Educational Systems, September 1999
- “Expert Witness Qualification: When and How to Challenge and How to Respond” – Panel Discussion – Tarrant County Bar Association Brown Bag Seminar – The Stuff Before and After Trial, January, 2002
- “Accountability for Health Care is Sorely Lacking” – Guest Column – Fort Worth Business Press – March 8, 2002
- “‘Malpractice Reform’ shoves aside patients” – Op Ed – Fort Worth Star Telegram; Dallas Morning News – April & May, 2002
- "Justice isn’t an item on a medical balance sheet” – Op Ed – Dallas Morning News – September 9, 2002
- “Bleeding away our rights” – Op Ed – Fort Worth Star Telegram – October 13, 2002
- “Defending trial lawyers: We’re not buying candidates” – Guest Column – Fort Worth Business Press – November 8, 2002
- “Doctors and lawyers” – Op Ed – Fort Worth Star Telegram – January 13, 2003
- “Malpractice fight has eerily similar insanity to it” – Guest Column – Fort Worth Business Press – March 7-13, 2003
- “Malpractice by the Legislature” – Op Ed – Fort Worth Star Telegram – June 9, 2003
- “Fort Worth Court furthers fetus/baby arguments” – Guest Column – Fort Worth Business Press – November 7- 13, 2003
- “Rule 202 Depositions of the Government – Cracks in the Shield or Spitting into the Wind?” State Bar of Texas – Suing and Defending Governmental Entities – July 2010
- “Non-conforming Remainders – The City’s Perspective” Presentation – International Right of Way Association – North Texas Chapter 36, Spring Seminar – April 2013
- “Eminent Domain for the General Practitioner” – Presentation – State Bar of Texas, Paralegal Division – District 3 meeting – June 2013
Books – Author
- Cheaper to Kill than to Maim – A Patient’s Guide to Medical Malpractice in Texas – PSG Books; September, 2002; ISBN 0-9659273-4-2 (Available here.)
Non-legal publications include:
- Editor – Book – Discover Your Blind Spots, Dr. Bob Smith; Clear Direction, Inc.
- "A Sweet Obsession" - Lead story in science fiction anthology Tales of Arrissium
- Real estate rehabilitation and design and travel blog With the Barretts
- Harmonious Home Adventures – Real Estate Business monthly e-newsletter - DebraBarrettRealEstate.com
- Let’s Win This! – Law Firm monthly e-newsletter for Stephens Anderson & Cummings, LLP